Thursday, February 21, 2008

Gëzuar Pavarësinë Kosovë! Happy Independence Kosovo!

So, as I'm sure you've all heard, as of Sunday, Kosovo is a brand new country! As a little sort-of Albanian boy, I'm pretty happy for our next door neighbor. I hear my mommies talking about it all, and it sounds like Kosovo, Serbia, and the Balkans in general are pretty complicated. And, of course, it's really complicated right now. As far as I can tell from everything they're saying (they don't think I understand, but I do!), they don't seem worried about the situation in Albania. No one is protesting here (only celebrating!) and there is really no Serbian population here--but I'm pretty sure my mommies and everyone else at the embassy are keeping a close eye on everything that has been going on nearby.

But as for me, I wore my Albania pants on Sunday when we went out in the freezing cold to see the scene around town. Lots and lots of Albanian and American flags everywhere. And a giant sign put up by the Albanian government in front of the American embassy. ('Kosova e lire' means 'Free Kosovo').



No comments: