Monday, June 26, 2006

Bedraggled and Miserable

Not sure if you heard or not, but DC received rain of biblical proportions starting the weekend of June 25th. Rain, thunderstorms, lightening, and then more drenching downpours. For days and days and days. Something like 10 inches fell in a 24 hour period near our house. Everything in DC flooded...including several federal agencies, some of the Smithsonian museums, and the zoo. And though our basement has always been dry (according to my mommies, I haven't been around to confirm) that run of good luck ended on Sunday evening around 2:30am with pounding on our door from Diana yelling, "basement emergency, basement emergency!" Water had filled the window wells and was pouring in through the windows. Thus began a multiday nightmarish saga for my mommies involving water, mud, headlamps, sandbags, wet/dry vacs, and lots and lots of being really wet and dirty. Blissfully, I was playing with my bubby and sleeping through all of this. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe next time I visit I could request a little less drama!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you guys had head lamps!

Levi said...

Headlamps were my Elf Diana's, courtesy of her Appalachian Trail trek.